6.30.2013

La Siesta and Té de Yerba Mate

The Argentine sense of time schedule has me completely confused (not to mention I started off with jet lag from a 30 hour trek to get here!). Here’s a look at the typical weekday schedule:

9:00am - 12:00 noon – Stores are open.

12:00 noon – 5:00pm – Stores are closed. In theory, everyone goes home for lunch and an afternoon siesta.
The ''midget doors'' on the storefronts are for letting out last-minute customers. 

The streets are abandoned during la siesta time. 

5:00pm – 9:00pm – Stores are open again.

9:00pm – Dinner.

10:00pm – 2:00am – Social life time! Bible studies, gym workouts, birthday parties, and mate tea drinking with friends

2:00am – 8:00am – Sleeping

I have not adapted to staying up until 2:00am very well… I have attempted it but then slept in until 11:00am the next morning, haha. I think the jet lag is still affecting me too.

The school schedule has two sessions: the mañana session and the siesta session. Mañana session is from 8:30 to 12:45, and the siesta session is from 1:00 to 5:15. Kids attend one of the two sessions, and teachers have at least 30 students in each session, giving each teacher a total of at least 60 students. I had the opportunity to observe in a kindergarten classroom and a 3rd grade classroom, and I was reminded of how many resources I have access to while teaching in the U.S. I was left feeling in awe of the teachers’ perseverance here and very grateful for what I have access to!

Mate tea is another daily priority for Agrentines. You fill the cup with tea leaves (yerba mate tea to be exact) and then drink the water through a metal straw (a bombilla). Then you pour more water into the cup and pass the cup to the next person. Everyone drinks from the same cup (strange for my germ-a-phobe mentality as a teacher, haha)! 
 
The yerba mate  aisle at the grocery store. Lots of varieties to choose from! 

The typical cup and straw for drinking mate... here I am preparing for my first taste.

Meh... I tried not to offend my hosts by telling them that I don't like bitter flavors... I'm not sure my ecuse worked. 




No comments: