1.27.2009

New Word Today: Migrana

Anybody know how to make the "~" symbol? "Migrana" has an "~" over the n... but I don't know how to make it.


A high school student's mom passed away from cancer this weekend, so in order to show support, all the secondary and specials teachers went to the funeral today. It's a big Latin America custom to show support when a student's parent dies. But elementary still had school, and without the specials teachers, there was no EFL, no MEP, no Spanish classes. That translates to mean I had my students from 7:30 to 1pm straight with no breaks. NO BREAKS. Kind of like mothering, I suppose. It was a good day though as we actually had sufficient time for reading groups. Aaah, the luxury, imagine that.


But by the time I made it home, I had a migraine. No fun. I got home at 3 and went straight to bed, woke up at 5, went to the kitchen and burst into tears when Blanca asked me if I was okay. All I could think to say was in English, the Spanish just wasn't working at all, so I just said "My head hurts!!" and Blanca thought I was crying because I was homesick or something. I was holding my head between my hands because it hurt so bad... I probably looked really high or something, ha. So then it turned into a big production... Judit went to the pharmacy to get medicine for me and Blanca was on the phone trying to get a hold of the family doctor and ManRi was sitting at the table getting really hungry for dinner. My head hurt so bad, and I was half laughing, half crying at all this commotion -- of course all in Spanish.


All in a day's work.

1 comment:

K Siscoe said...

You needed your mommy!
Love ya!
Dad