8.29.2009

The Battle of the Bichos

Bichos equal Bugs.

I've been having battles with bugs. Serious battles.

3 nights ago, I woke up in the middle of the night suddenly. Not sure why, I just did. I turned on my bedside lamp and there, looming in the upper corner of my room, was the largest cockroach I've ever seen. Not kidding... I hate killing cockroaches as they just crunch too much, so I didn't do anything about it. But then I couldn't sleep for fear the cockroach would burrow in the covers with me. So I slept with the light on all night so I could see where the bicho was...

2 nights ago, I walked up the stairs to my room and turned on the lights to find a huge moth clinging to the ceiling... like, each wing was the size of my hand, not kidding. I had found one previously, about 4 months ago (ha, I thought it was a bat at first because all I could hear were the wings flapping!), and I knew that if I didn't get it outside, it would just flap all night and I wouldn't sleep again. So I resorted to throwing my wadded-up socks at the moth to direct it back out the window into it's dark feeding grounds... I threw all my socks and was collecting them to throw again when the moth found it's way out the window...

Last night, I darted into the room to find my cookbook and froze when I saw it... a HUGE grasshopper on the wall above my bed. My first thought was, ¨Seriously??¨ I had 5 guests downstairs waiting, so I returned to the kitchen and told them what was up, and we plotted before returning to my room with a bucket and sheet of clear plastic to transport the grasshopper to it's proper home. ... We succeeded after I gave up the main position of ¨catcher¨... I'm a bit too squeemish for this sort of endeavor.






It's not as big in the photo as it is in my memory.

No comments: