5.15.2011

6.0 Earthquake

An earthquake surprised us on Friday afternoon. The epicenter was in Puriscal, just a few kilometers from Escazú. I was in Guachípelin at school waiting for parents to pick up their kids when we felt the tremor. It never fails to scare me as the ground begins to shake underneath me. I can now say I understand why the Psalmist wrote in Psalm 46:

''We will not fear, through the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea.''

God is good, even when the ground we walk on proves how unstable it is.

So here's the ''damage'' I experienced this time:

This shelf held a glass bottle of cold medicine...

...that fell and shattered. The cross sign also fell from the shelf but wasn't broken.

That's all the damage I experienced :).

I heard that this earthquake was very deep in the earth, so that's why we didn't experience as many replicas. People who were closer to the epicenter described the sound as ''roaring, like thunder''... it wasn't a surface earthquake this time!

No comments: